17 April 2012

Easter and Goodbyes in Kravoder

According to the Orthodox calendar, Easter fell a week later than celebrated by Catholic and Protestant churches. I celebrated part of the holiday, which lasts from Good Friday to Easter Monday with my host family in Kravoder. While in the village, I visited other host families and said goodbye. It was strange to see some of the kids in the village a foot taller than I remembered…a reminder that TWO YEARS have passed since I arrived in Bulgaria!!! Unbelievable!!

The house smelled amazing. I love the traditional lamb stuffing/casserole served at Easter. I don’t know the ingredients besides liver, rice, onions, and mushrooms, but whatever part of the lamb the reddish salty meat in the stuffing comes from, it is delicious. The dish is one of my favorites in Bulgaria.


No comments:

Post a Comment